Wednesday, July 25, 2012

"Don't worry, I got this, Mom."

As I venture into the world of real food with Faith, I am once again reminded of how much my daughter and I are alike.

You see, my whole life I've been told the story of how after I was about 7 months old, I refused to be fed by anyone and my older sister had to dance around to distract me so my mom could get foods in my mouth. This story has always been brought up to prove how I've always done what I've wanted and how ever since I was little.

After Faith got full control of her arms and hands, she's started getting upset over not having control over her bottle. She has even started holding it on her own, as long as she's tilted at the right angle and doesn't have to lift it (not quite that advanced yet!). My mom, again, uses this as a reason to tell me how I hated having help from anyone.

I made Faith some good old homemade Brown Rice for her first food. I cooked it in the rice cooker and then pureed it in the Magic Bullet. It was very gummy - so in the future, I'll just grind the uncooked rice and then cook it. I added a lot of formula to it.

She seemed to like it! There was quite a bit of fussiness because she'd been up for nearly five hours (stinking daycare) but she was really good. After about the third spoonful, she started grabbing for the spoon and doing this.


Thanks, but no thanks!
In fact, I'm not so sure that she wanted the food as much as she wanted the spoon! She was even sucking on the spoon to get all of the food off of it. Isn't she so stinking cute?!

We got through maybe 10 spoonfuls before she was over it and ready to move on.

I'm excited to see where this takes us. The plan is to keep giving her the brown rice cereal until closer to 6 months, if not after. I'm working (or thinking about working) on cooking and freezing squash and zucchini from my mom's garden to use once she's ready for it.
----------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment