Monday, July 29, 2013

Nickname War

It has been awhile since I have been apart of my blog. Mainly, I haven't had access or time to a computer that is easy to type on. I don't think I can be one of those people to blog on my phone, unless I knew people cared. Typing on a keyboard is much easier with the use of ten digits, instead of just two - if I'm lucky enough to not be shielding my iPhone from my 1-year-old.



As a child starts to mold their personalities, parents begin to decide how to mold their own parenting decisions to best fit their child - and their own sanity. One battle that my husband and I are fighting is the Nickname War.

My name, Kirsti, has absolutely no good nicknames that go with it. In school, one boy was actually smart enough to come up with one - Kirst. Clever. Right? Honestly, what pre-teen doesn't enjoy being nicknamed  a homophone to "cursed." My husband's name, Daniel, is well-known and often stays in the top fifty lists year after year for baby names. It comes with history: Daniel in the Lion's Den; Daniel Craig; Daniel Day Lewis, etc. I bet you can name different men with the name Daniel in your own life that go by its popular nicknames - Dan & Danny. I have called my husband many nicknames and the most appropriate ones to share online would be Bat-Dan, Pae-Pae, and DP.

While my husband never appreciates people taking it upon themselves to give him nicknames, I always feel loved when people give me one.



This leads us to our greatest debate - Faith's nickname. My daughter has come out on top of our crazy family with an outstanding personality. She is spunky, funny, energetic, stubborn, genius, and wild-eyed. When people ask me why I call her Fifi all the time, it's for those reasons. To me, Faith is solemn and quiet and that is not how I view my daughter. Fifi is the toddler who grabs onto her father's pajama pants and throws all her weight backwards until she falls on the floor and has totally pants-ed Daniel. It's awesome.

What is Daniel's view on Fifi's nickname? "She's not a dog." No, Daniel, she's not but she is very similar to the puppy who runs and destroys everything in its wake just to turn around with a huge grin  and sly eyes that lets you know she'll do it again as soon as you clean it all up.




Plus, Daniel definitely called her Fifi yesterday before he caught himself. I think this is what is called, "Parental Progress."

No comments:

Post a Comment