Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nightmares of a Teacher

Before this week, I never had teaching nightmares or even dreams. My grandma (retired teacher since the nineties) tells me all the time about how she still has nightmares and crazy dreams about students in the classroom. 

This is where I start getting pensive about my job without breaking FERPA so I have to stay completely vague. 

After only starting my third year of teaching, I have heard many heartbreaking stories. They are beginning to keep me up at night and I spend many of my prayers on the children who deserve love in every way. Children should not be neglected, abused, molested, or hungry. As a mother and a woman who has devoted her life to be surrounded by little people, I am weighed down by the sins of men and women who have made terrible choices. 

This week, I have slept on the couch because I have been so fitful in my sleep that I am worried about waking up my daughter who sleeps within arms reach in her bed. She is the child I was given to protect and her father and I will protect her for the rest of our lives. Not just until she moves out, gets married, and has her own child. Forever I will protect and love her like she deserves. 

I had to tell a mother this week, "Even when it seems impossible, I will help him. Every child deserves a village."

Teachers choose to be a piece of every village and sometimes it is unbearable but the children need us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment