Sunday, August 19, 2012

Baby Food #2

We have successfully homegrown, harvested, roasted, pureed, and frozen Faith's first veggie! Last night she had it fresh from the oven (cooled down, of course) and here are some pictures to show her reaction!



The anticipation!


Big girl bite!

See that hand? She can hardly get enough!

The spoon I use is pretty sloppy. I got a new one though!

I believe we found a keeper veggie!

Yummy!


A big ol' mess makes a happy baby!!

Oh and don't mind the belly - she got a slight rug burn from scooting so much. It didn't bother her but I learned my lesson about letting her run around naked!


I feel very good about giving her organic, fresh food. It makes me feel like I'm making up for having her on formula from day 5.



Recipe for squash:

Ingredients
- butternut squash, deseeded and cut in half
- splash of water

1. Pre-heat the oven to 400*
2. Put squash face down in a roasting dish with about an inch of water
3. Roast for 1 hour
4. Scoop out meat and put into Magic Bullet with the tiniest bit of water
5. Puree until it's a pretty runny consistency
6. Put into ice cube trays and freeze overnight
7. After completely frozen, microwave the tray for 10 seconds to loosen the cubes and pop them out. Make sure they're still frozen!
8. Put in a freezer safe ziploc and label the date. 

I've heard squash shouldn't be frozen more than 3 months and butternut and other winter squashes will usually have a shelf life of at least 3 months, so I'm only cooking what I need for a week at a time - since they will keep better out of the freezer than in.That gives me roughly 6 months of reserves on squash just from my mom's garden.

She loved it day 2, also!

No comments:

Post a Comment